Shell necklace assembly

The instructions were pretty straightforward, the 3D printing required no adjustment but I did need to sand the opening on the back a little bit to fit the electronics inside. We did make some adjustments to the provided code, as the yellow color they used was too cool and looked a little greenish, and it caused the lights to randomly flicker with loud/prolonged sound. You can find the code we used at the bottom of this post.

Even though Adafruit has a step by step guide for the necklace, the instructions really only cover the technical side of things. The assembly of everything was quite a puzzle!

Their instructions suggested a really expensive (over $10) bottle of gold gloss paint, but I found this at Michael’s for 92¢:

photo-10-22-9-19-13-pm

The biggest challenge was trying to figure out how to get everything inside the hollowed out area without having anything fall out. It was also tough to figure out what to do with the microphone and its wires.

The solution I found involved quite a lot of twisting of all the components. I first lined the LED ring up so that the light appeared to originate from the center of the shell—roughly in the “12 o’clock” position. Then I threaded the microphone through the square opening, lined the battery pack up and twisted the circuit board clockwise until I was able to press it flush with the back of the shell. It took a couple of tries to get the battery and circuit board to perfectly line up, nothing a pair of pliers and some patience couldn’t handle.

photo-10-22-9-22-25-pm

Because of the length of the microphone wires, I had to twist those as well to hide the microphone inside the shell opening. I used a pair of pliers to gently twist the wires clockwise then threaded a piece of suede cord I had on hand through the back of the shell and secured the microphone down in the opening with a double knot. There was just enough space to thread the tails of the cord back into the hollow of the back of the shell. I’m not sure if I’d make the wires shorter if I were to do this again, because of how tight everything is, having a little length to wiggle things around is very helpful.

photo-10-22-9-20-46-pm

This whole assembly created a slight hinge which allows just enough space to reach your finger in to flip the on/off switch without trouble.

photo-10-22-9-22-09-pm

I very elegantly used masking tape to secure everything together, though it didn’t seem entirely necessary considering how snugly the electronics fit within the shell. I actually tried to pull things out to make some adjustments and wasn’t able to.

photo-10-22-9-20-51-pm

I bought a velvet cord, replaced the clasp with a more secure lobster clasp, and attached a short length of chain to the cord to allow for adjustment with different necklines.

photo-10-22-9-20-18-pm



Expand for Shell Code
SHARE IT:

Leave a Reply

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>